RF|Binder Media Intelligence: Monday, June 24

RFB Media Intelligence

FT Adds to VC Beat
Miles Kruppa, senior writer at Absolute Return magazine, will join The Financial Times’ San Francisco bureau to cover venture capital next month. His beat will center on chronicling money in Silicon Valley, reporting on the most significant deals, people, and institutions funding the technology industry. 

FT Hires Reporter for Moral Money
Patrick Temple-West, a former Politico reporter, will join the FT as a reporter for “Moral Money,” a new initiative  that explores the fast-growing and international shift towards ethical, sustainable and responsible investing. 

Investigative at The Washington Post 
The Washington Post announced a major expansion of its investigative journalism. Overall, the initiative will add 10 staff positions to The Post’s Sports, Climate and Environment, and Foreign teams.  

New Hire at the New York Times
Kashmir Hill is joining The New York Times business desk as an enterprise reporter in Business. Kashmir has been writing about the unexpected and sometimes ominous ways technology is changing our lives. She describes her beat as “the looming tech dystopia and how we can try to avoid it.” 

About NYT Parenting Section
Jessica Grose, editor of NYT recently launched Parenting section, wants to provide the highest-quality information and support to new and expecting parents. “We’re still figuring out the mix of service, policy and news. Right now,  it’s about 65 percent service with the other 35 percent made up of policy, news and essays. That may change as the site evolves.” 

New Hire at Business Insider
Meredith Mazzilli, formerly a team leader at Reuters’ America’s desk, has joined Business Insider as its finance editor. 

Tech Reporter Leaves Bloomberg
Jeremy Kahn, a senior technology reporter at Bloomberg News, is leaving the organization. His last day is Monday. 

Poets & Quants, Inc. Magazine Deal
Poets & Quants, which covers news about business schools, and Inc. magazine have struck an editorial and marketing deal where the print magazine will publish a list of the top graduate entrepreneurship programs. The feature will also include in-depth profiles of selected start-ups that were incubated in MBA schools. 

BBC Hits a Milestone
The BBC’s global audience has passed 300 million, with television overtaking radio as the most popular platform for international news for the first time in the corporation’s history.

Lay-offs at Ebony, Jet Magazines
Ebony and Jet magazines have been laying off their remaining editorial staff en masse after failing to make payroll last month — the latest in a long line of slights suffered by workers at the hands of the company’s private-equity owners. 

Laid-off Journalists vs. Google, Facebook
The Save Journalism Project, a group started by recently laid-off journalists aimed at highlighting tech giants’ effect on the news industry, is launching its first ad campaign this week urging lawmakers to take on Facebook and Google.